Friday 3 January 2014

Heather's review of Haunted by Eileen Maksym


Summary:

Tara Martin - exceptionally accomplished neurobiology major with a troubled past. Steven Trent - confident political science major with an irresistible attraction to Tara. Paul Stratton - history major who is able to hear spirits. Together, they make up the Society for Paranormal Researchers at their prestigious New England University. When they're not in class or writing papers, the three friends are chasing their passion....ghosts. When the group learns of a local retired couple trying to sell a house they claim is haunted, they decide to investigate. As the clues unfold, a familiar spirit interrupts their investigation and Tara finds her life in danger. Can her friends save her before it's too late?

Heather's Review:

  As someone who lives in a town that has a few haunted houses and a well known college professor, who has written and co-written many books about hauntings, I went in with an open mind.  I am someone who believes in the paranormal, so I can be very critical when reading a work of fiction set in that world.  The only downside to this story was that it felt a bit rushed and could have been longer.
    The characters are likeable, the story enjoyable, the science is very real yet completely understandable, and the dialogue has enough wit to keep this ghost story from being too dark but still spooky. I loved the strength and determination of the female lead, Tara Martin, to face the mystery head on.  Steven Trent and Paul Stratton are more than just secondary characters or sidekicks. They each have their own role in the group, but work perfectly as a team.  Not always something easy to do, but the author has pulled it off.
    I would very much love to read further investigations of the Society of Paranormal Researchers in the future.  Haunted is intriguingly dark and yet not overly horrific or gory.  Which makes this a very good reading selection for those that are interested in paranormal but can’t quite handle horror.

Rating:






 Author bio:




 Hi! I'm Eileen, and I'm a writer. I write in a variety of genres, but my favorites are paranormal, horror, science fiction, and urban fantasy. My first novel, Haunted, came out this past spring! I'm also a submissions editor for Apex Magazine.

I currently live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, while my husband, an astrophysicist, does a post-doc at the University of Alabama. Before moving here, my sports love was baseball (GO RED SOX!) However, since football is the lingua franca around here, I started watching the team, and now I'm hooked. Roll Tide!!!

I have two children: Kolbe, who is nine, and Josie, who is six. They're wonderful and exasperating and surprise me every day!

When I'm not writing, I can often be found fangirling online about my current pop culture obsessions. Right now I'm a huge fan of Elementary, Sherlock and Doctor Who. I also love to read, sing (pretty well!) and play guitar (very badly).



Availability:

Goodreads        Amazon      



 

No comments:

Post a Comment