Friday 13 December 2013

Review of Tears of Heaven (Urban Fantasy) From R.A. McCandless

Tears of Heaven

Urban Fantasy
From R.A. McCandless


In the past, the children of angels and humans, the Nephilim, were allowed to lead their lives as they willed.  But they proved too strong, too ambitious, and too cunning for their own good.  They became warlords, conquerors and emperors.  They caused war and strife until the Throne stepped in and forced them to submit to Its will, or die.

Unlike most of her fellows, Del, one of the first Nephilim, had no interest in conquest and domination.  In the ancient past, prior to the Throne’s interdiction, she met and fell in love with Dami, a Mediterranean ship captain and trader.  Together, they face down pirates and storms and try to create a future together.

In the present, Del unwillingly works for the Throne, obeying the commands of the angel Ahadiel.  She helps to keep the world safe from the horrors of escaped demons.  At the same time, she keeps herself in the Throne’s good graces.  Whenever a rogue demon breaks free from Hell, she and her partner, Marrin, another Nephilim, work together to banish it.

Thrilling danger, fast-paced adventure, high-seas action, and heart-warming romance fill this novel, with a page-turning story that won’t let you put it down.
December 2013


Heathers Review 

First off, I want to say that I’m ashamed at myself for putting this book off for so long.  Not sure why I couldn’t make myself actually start it, supernatural is right up my alley, for whatever unknown reason I procrastinated but once I started it, I truly could not put it down.

Tears is an amazing blend of character development and storytelling, using many elements to create an intriguing tale that I think will easily appeal to both male and female readers, especially those who love supernatural/fantasy genre.  I found it immensely interesting, and enjoyed, the author’s use of ideology (or what some might consider theology a more accurate term) to further both the character and story advancement.  I often found myself wondering about things in my own life or how I look at parts of life but at no time did I feel that the author was preaching to me or trying to make me think about life.

I find it rare to find a book that so evenly blends so many genres and actually make it work.  There is action, adventure, history, mythology (some might narrow it down to theology), and romance that leaves you wanting more and feeling complete all at once.

As someone who has been reading science fiction/fantasy since birth practically, I’ve never had a difficult time with the odd names and terminology but I know that many can.   I found the author’s writing style took a lot of that odd feeling away and you feel like you’re reading everyday names and terms.

Rating: Five Honey Pots

1 comment: